China welcomes international self-financed students to study in China. There are 400 institutions of higher education in China qualified to accept international students.
1) Applicants may apply to the China Scholarship Council (CSC) through overseas educational institutions or non-governmental organizations.
2) Applicants may apply to CSC directly.
3) Applicants may apply to Chinese institutions of higher education directly.
2. Categories of Applicants and Duration of Study
The duration of study of different categories’ students:
1) Undergraduates: 4 to 5 years
2) Master’s degree students: 2 to 3 years
3) Doctoral degree students: 3 years
4) There is no limit of study duration for Chinese language students, visiting scholars and senior visiting scholars.
1) Applicants must be non-Chinese nationals in good health.
2) Educational qualifications required:
a. Undergraduate applicants must hold high school certificate.
b. Master’s degree applicants must hold bachelor’s degree.
c. Doctoral degree applicants must hold master’s degree.
d. Chinese language students must hold high school certificate.
e. Visiting scholars must have completed two years of undergraduate studies.
f. Senior visiting scholars must hold master’s degree or hold academic titles of associate professor or higher.
Categories of Applicants
Payment Standards (RMB yuan)
14,000-26,000 (per person per academic year)
Master’s degree students,
Senior visiting scholars
18,000-30,000 (per person per academic year)
Doctoral degree students
22,000-34,000 (per person per academic year)
3,000-4,800 (per person per month)
Sciences, Engineering, Agronomy
10% to 30% higher than Liberal Arts students
Medicine, Physical Education, Fine Arts
50%-100% higher than Liberal Arts students
Charged in accordance with the standard in each institution
Costs of food, medical treatment within educational institutions, teaching materials, and cost of experiments, internships, field studies, etc. that are not covered in study syllabus shall be born by the students.
Note: At present, RMB 100 yuan roughly equals to US＄12.
5. Application Documents
1) Applicants shall fill out the Application Form for Self-financed Study in China (in duplicates).
Students who apply to CSC through overseas educational institutions or non-governmental organizations or individually must fill in and present this form, which can be obtained from Chinese diplomatic missions, or downloaded from the website of CSC (http://www.csc.edu.cn).
2) Highest diploma (notarized photocopy). If applicants are university students or already employed, applicants shall also submit documents of being university students provided by universities or on-post employees provided by employers.
3) High school transcripts for bachelor’s degree applicants or transcripts for other categories’ students (notarized photocopy).
4) Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by Chinese quarantine authority).
The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete records or those without a sealed photograph of the applicants are invalid. The medical examination results will be valid for 6 months. All applicants are kindly requested to take this factor into consideration while determining the time to take the medical examination.
5) Applicants for master’s or doctoral degree studies and senior visiting scholars must submit two letters of recommendation by two professors or associate professors (attached with Chinese or English translations). Applicants who apply in China for Master’s or Doctoral degree studies must submit the Admission Notice of the hosting university.
6) Applicants for studying music are requested to submit one cassette recording of the applicants’ own work. Applicants for fine arts must submit six color photographs of personal works (two sketches, two colored paintings and two other works).
Applicants who apply to CSC for self-financed study in China must send their application documents by May 31.
6. Admissions and Notification
1) Students who apply to CSC for self-financed study in China through overseas educational institutions or non-governmental organizations will be placed in 88 institutions of higher education admitting Chinese Government Scholarship students. CSC will send the Admission Notice and Visa Application for Study in China (JW202) by July 31 to the overseas educational institutions or non-governmental organizations to forward to the students admitted.
2) For individual applicants, the Chinese institutions of higher education will directly send the Admission Notice and Visa Application for Study in China (JW202) to the students admitted by July 31.
7. Contact Information
China Scholarship Council
Address: No. 160 Fuxingmennei Avenue, Beijing 100031, P. R. China
Tel: 0086-10-66413253, 66413132